Okay, you regular readers knew this was coming. I can't help myself. Internet costs compared:
US Cable Internet:
- Speed: 1.5 mbs
- Installation costs: $0.00
- Monthly Cost: $44.95
- Annual cost as a % of average annual wage in the country: 0.018%
- Reliabilty: In my experience, went out twice in one year, for about four hours each time.
- Application process: fill out one screen of information on the website
- Application duration: activated the next day
ETC Leased Line internet:
- Speed: 1 mbs (others available, starting at 64 kbs)
- Installation costs: $5,788 (not a typo)
- Monthly Cost: $2,639 (not a typo)
- Annual cost as a % of average annual wage in the country: 7930% (not a typo)
- Reliability: goes out at least once per day, sometimes for days at a time, sometimes slows to 1/100th of advertised speed.
- Application process/duration: fill out three forms, have your employer fill out two forms, go in person to the ETC office to drop off forms. Wait for several weeks at least. Remind ETC every week or so about your application. Keep waiting...