While only a week away from my former home in Bole can't give me proper perspepctive, here are some things I notice that I miss and don't miss about being away from Ethiopia:
• my Habesha and Fefenge Ethiopian friends
• the weather (well, nine months of the year anyway)
• ubiquitous hawazi
• household help
• home-made dog food [item added by Toby]
• the best meal in town, washed down with the best wine in the house, for $30.
• The best coffee in the world, everywhere, so cheap it's almost free.
• Home-cooked gomen, misera wot, red-tef injera, and shiro
• The bellowing
• The internet, 1998 style, and censored
• 100% import extortion/duty
• Thinking about journalists still in prison before I post something on my blog
• dust in the dry season and mud in the rainy season
• Ferenge! Ferenge! Ferenge! Gimme one birr!
• ETC (repeated for emphasis)